4 Ingredients is all you need for Shortbread.
- 3 cups organic cake flour
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, caramel essence or rosewater
- 300gr unsalted butter, at room temperature
- extra castor sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180degC and line a cookie tray with baking paper.
- Sieve the flour and sugar in an electric mixing bowl and then add the essence.
- Using the paddle attachment, mix the butter into the flour mixture on the lowest setting until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. However, you can use your hands instead of an electrical appliance.
- Collect the mixture and form into a ball with your hands. Roughly shape it into a square and place onto baking paper on the kitchen table. Place another sheet on top of the dough.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough between the two sheets until its about 2cm thick. Remove the top sheet and slice, or use a cookie cutter to make biscuit shapes of your choice.
- Place onto the lined tray and bake in the oven for 15 min. The biscuits have to be lightly golden. Once done, remove and generously dust with castor sugar.
Sandy Nouwens for Sandy’s Food & Baking Recipes