This recipe, by no means is meant to be a healthy cake. This is a rich, buttery and indulgent cake.
INGREDIENTS: BUTTER CAKE
- 150gr Stork 60%fat spread
- 210gr castor sugar
- 4 jumbo eggs, separated
- 5ml caramel essence
- 280gr organic cake flour
- 10ml baking powder
- pinch salt
- 125ml full cream milk
- 80ml water
- 5ml cream of tartar
- 1 cup Stork 60% fat spread
- icing sugar
- rice flour
- cherries for decorating
- In an electric mixer, beat the Stork spread, essence and castor sugar well. Gradually add in the egg yolks until the batter is light and fluffy.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff.
- Add half of the dry ingredients into the buttery mixture and half the milk mixture. Fold in. Now add the last bit of the dry and liquid ingredients. Fold once again.
- Once your batter is mixed, it’s time to fold the batter in with the stiff egg whites.
- Divide the mixture in to two separate prepared springform cake tins and bake for 30 minutes at 180degC.
- Once baked, allow to cool slightly, before turning out to cool completely. Be gentle, it’s quite a delicate cake.
- In a clean bowl, beat the fat spread and gradually add about 2 cups of icing sugar, a teaspoon of caramel essence and about 2 heaped table spoons of rice flour.
- The frosting should be fluffy, sweet and have an almost chocolate mousse texture. The rice flour adds some texture.
- I taste as I go along. (I do recommend you use the Stork fat spread for this cake and frosting.)
- Scoop half the frosting onto the first cake and softly spread it out. Place the 2nd cake layer on top and lightly spread out the last half of frosting. Decorate with cherries or as you wish.
As I’ve said before, this is a cake to indulge in. So indulge!