I usually have a frozen roll of puff pastry or phyllo in my freezer for those ‘just in case’ moments when i’m just not in the mood to make pastry from scratch, or, I just have no idea what to make for dessert. Having ready-made pastry is a real kitchen life saver. This week, I let the puff pastry thaw, then I sliced it in 9 squares and decided on delicious fillings I already had in my kitchen. I honestly didn’t feel like going out and buying something extra. It’s good to have days where you just force yourself to make do with what you have in your pantry.
So here is what I came up with….
3 PASTRIES: STRAWBERRY, CHOC BANANA AND APPLE.
- 1 roll puff pastry, thawed
- sliced apples
- strawberries, sliced
- 1 banana
- Slightly roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and then cut the pastry into 9 squares.
- On the middle of three squares, place some apple slices (about a 1/4 of an apple), cinnamon and sugar with a 1/4 teaspoon of butter. Brush the edges with a beaten egg and fold it as you’d like.
- In the centre of the next three ‘leafs’, lightly spread about a teaspoon of nutella and some slices of banana. Again, brush the edges with beaten egg. Fold again as desired.
- And with the last three puff squares, stir some sliced strawberries in about a heaped tablespoon of jam (any flavour) and put a dollop onto the centre. Brush and fold again.
- Place the 9 pastries onto a prepared oven tray and bake at 180degC until they’re puffed up and golden brown.
- Serve with whipped cream or just as is.
Pastries are best served at room temperature. So let them rest for a little bit before serving.
For some added texture, add crushed roasted nuts, once pastries are baked.