MINTY BEETROOT & SPICY-SWEET ROASTED CHICKPEA SALAD RECIPE
- 5 beetroots
- 1 fresh lemon
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- handful fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of the roasted cumin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 250gr mixed baby lettuce leaves
- 1 handful raw green beans, ends cut and sliced in half
- feta cheese
- In a dry pan, lightly ‘roast’ the cumin powder.
- Then in a small bowl, mix together the juice of one large lemon and the rind, 1 teaspoon of the roasted cumin, 3-4 tablespoons olive oil, mint and season with some salt and pepper. Set it aside so that all the flavours can infuse.
- Peel the beetroot and cut them in quarters. Place it on a prepared tray, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 180degC until tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- In another mixing bowl, mix together the flour, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon roasted cumin powder, 4 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons honey, salt and pepper to taste. It should form a thick paste. Then mix and coat the drained chickpeas with the paste.
- Prepare a tray with non-stick spray. Scatter out the coated chickpeas and roast in the oven for about 25 minutes at 180degC until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- At this point, stir together the minty sauce with the beetroot. Leave to ‘marinade’ whilst you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Start the base of your salad with the mixed baby lettuce, then add the green beans.
- Scatter the minted flavoured beetroot over the greens.
- Crumble or slice the feta cheese over and then top it with the roasted chickpeas.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve with a lemony balsamic vinaigrette.
Start early with the preparation of this salad 🙂