Spinach and nut chocolate Brownies
WAIT….WHAT? SPINACH? CHOCOLATE SPINACH BROWNIES???
Don’t let the first few photos scare you! It does look terribly gross, but just try it out before refusing to make this quite delicious recipe. You’ll see the end result is well worth it.
- Non-stick spray
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 and a half slab of dark chocolate melted
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 1 cup spinach purée (just steam a pack of spinach with a dash of salt and blend smooth)
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2/3 cup cake flour (I use gluten-free flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pack of mixed nuts (100gr)
- Half or a whole slab of chocolate broken into pieces
- Pre-heat the oven to 180degC.
- Coat a small square tray with the non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl combine the OIL, MELTED CHOCOLATE, SUGAR, SPINACH PURÉE, EGG WHITES and VANILLA. Mix together until smooth.
- Add the FLOUR, BAKING POWDER and SALT. Mix again.
- Now add the nuts and the rest of the chocolate slab broken into pieces. Fold together.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- 1/4 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Whisk all the topping ingredients together.
- Dot the cream cheese mixture on top of the brownie batter and then use a toothpick or a knife and run it through to make the swirl effect.
- Now place it in the oven and bake it for about 25 min.
- Cool down slightly and then slice it to make about 12 pieces.