This is probably the simplest way to add the “OOH FACTOR” to your dinner table .
If you’re a cheese, wine and bread lover, yet you haven’t tried baked camembert cheese, you’re missing out.
This on its own with some freshly baked bread, wine and cold meats is a meal that won’t let you down. Sounds divine, doesn’t it?
Here’s how to make it:
- Camembert cheese
- Rosemary sprigs
- Olive oil
- Pepper and salt
- Preserved figs
- Pecan nuts
- Honey for drizzling
- Pre-heat the oven to 180degC
- Remove the camembert from its packaging and place it into a small round oven proof dish that will make the cheese keep its form. I placed it in a small bowl with wax paper.
- Cut a small circle on the top of the camembert wheel and remove the “skin”. Don’t cut it in too deep. +- half a centimeter.
- Push in two sprigs of rosemary, drizzle with olive oil and bake in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes. No more, no less. Contrary to popular belief, it won’t go gooeyer if you leave it in for longer.
- Remove from the oven and bowl, and place it on to a cheese plate.
- Sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Top it with sliced preserved figs and nuts, finishing it off with a drizzle of honey.
- Serve it immediately with warm freshly baked ciabatta. (Suggestion)
Bear in mind, I was in a rush. So I didn’t work on my presentation too well. However, you get an idea on how it will turn out.
It’s flavourful comfort food. It’s delicious and will make you look like a well seasoned chef.
- If you don’t have a round oven proof dish, just use wax paper and tie around the side with string, so that it can keep its form, or it will just melt into a mess.
- Try buying a camembert baking dish. Not easy to find in stores, but you can find some online: NotJustJugs.com
- You may add a clove of garlic to the cheese.
- If you don’t have fresh rosemary sprigs, you can use thyme sprigs too.
- Just make sure to season the cheese with salt and pepper. Also, there should be some sweetness with honey, or the fig preserve syrup and texture with the nuts. Even dried cranberries or dried dates can work.
- Remember to not bake it less than 15 minutes or more than 20. If you’re unsure of your oven, put on a timer at 15 min and check on the cheese. Go from there.
- If you’re planning a healthy and light main meal with salad, then you can serve each guest with a camembert wheel as a starter with bread or bread sticks. Many people only scoop out the inner gooey part, just don’t make them feel obligated to eat the whole thing.
- My recipe for the rustic bread: Sandy’s Rustic Bread
There you have it! Enjoy!