PANCAKE INGREDIENTS & METHOD:
- 5 eggs
- 100ml water
- 400ml milk
- half a teaspoon of salt
- 300gr cake flour
- 60ml for butter
- non-stick spray & a non-stick pancake pan
- cooking oil and a basting brush
- Using a stick blender, blend the eggs, water, milk & salt until combined.
- Add the flour and blend again until smooth & lump free.
- Cover and allow to rest for about 2 hours.
- Everyone normally knows how to make the pancakes, so I’ll skip this method.
CUSTARD FILLING INGREDIENTS & METHOD:
- 10 egg yolks
- 100gr castor sugar
- 45 gr maizena (corn flour)
- 250ml cream
- pinch of salt
- 50gr butter
- 100gr good quality chocolate, broken into pieces. Lindt has the best for this, because there are so many flavours to choose from.
- Have your pancakes stacked on a plate, ready for assembling after making the custard. (No need to roll them up).
- Cream the egg yolks and castor sugar in a mixer until it’s light, fluffy, pale & doubled in size.
- Add the corn flour and give a quick mix again.
- Heat the cream & milk, but don’t boil. Slowly add it into the egg mixture in whilst on the slowest mixing speed. Add your salt.
- Pour mixture back into the pot that was used to heat the milk & cream & stir constantly on a medium heat, until the mixture thickens into a glorious custard.
- Remove from the stove and add your chocolate & butter. Stir until all has melted.
- Pour custard into a bowl and leave in the fridge.
- Now that the custard is cool & has rested, you can assemble the “cake”. Place a pancake on a serving dish, smear a heaped tablespoon of the custard over the pancake. Alternate until you run out of one or the other. (Normally I end up with 3 unused pancakes, which I then just add the typical cinnamon & sugar topping & roll it up. Keep it for your kids or hubby).
- Finish off the top of the cake with a non-smeared pancake. Finish it off with melted chocolate, cream etc….
Eat to live, live to eat.